Utrecht University Academic Building
3512 YOU Utrecht
The Academic building is situated in the centre of Utrecht at the Dom square near the Dom tower.
The oldest part of the Academic building (University hall), the Union of Utrecht room or Auditorium, dates back to 1462. The Union of Utrecht, considered to form the basis of the Dutch State, was signed in this room in 1579. The statue of Count John of Nassau in front of the Academy Building reminds us of this event.
Utrecht University was founded in 1636 and the auditorium has been a part of the university ever since. Utrecht University chose the motto 'Sol Iustitiae Illustra Nos' (May the Sun of Righteousness Enlighten Us) and the sun as her symbol. The motto is found by the solar globe on the Dom square and in one of the sculptured reliefs on the building's elevations.
The present Academic Building was a gift to the university from the citizens and the province of Utrecht in 1886, on the occasion of the university's 250th foundation day. All academic ceremonies such as inaugural lectures and graduation ceremonies take place there.
Route to the Academy building
From Utrecht Central station take bus 2, Domplein.
Hiking route from Central Station (10 minutes)
Follow the route to the Museum quarter. Hoog Catharijne, choose the exit ' Godebaldkwartier ' and then go left towards the DOM Tower. Go under the Dom by and cross the Cathedral square diagonally right over. You then runs right to the entrance to the Academy building.
Directions can be found on the route planner of the ANWB. Current information about work in Utrecht: Utrecht accessible.
The nearest car park is on the Springweg, just a 10 minute walk from the University Hall. From the motorway follow the signs for Centrum and then P Springweg. Choose in the car park the old Canal and the exit loop via Straw rose to the Oudegracht Canal. Cross the bridge and turn left. When Wed to right, Lange Nieuwstraat left cross. On the Cathedral square is the Academy building immediately on the right.