The 5th Annual UC San Diego Essentials and Advances in Apheresis will build on the great success of the first four conferences. The 2½-day multidisciplinary program is designed to appeal to first time attendees and to returning participants. Expert reviews of the essentials will be augmented with selected new topics and discussions of advances and innovations.
- Nationally and internationally recognized leaders will present didactic sessions and conduct interactive discussions.
- Fundamentals will include in-depth reviews of basic principles, procedures, prescribing, clinical management and care of special populations.
- Updates on selected disease indications will be supplemented by case studies and new clinical science.
- Symposia will review plasma exchange, cell apheresis modalities, technology innovations, billing practices and program management.
- The popular concurrent sessions on Frontiers in Apheresis Science and Expertise in Apheresis Practice will continue with updated topics.
- Breakfast with the Experts is offered for two days. Each session will focus on a different area of interest and will provide opportunities to answer specific questions and detailed discussions.
- Participants will be offered hands-on workshops, led by experienced practitioners, with small-group demonstrations of various techniques and machines used in therapeutic apheresis.
- An expert panel discussion on selected challenging cases submitted by attendees.
The target audience for this initiative includes physicians and allied health professionals interested in therapeutic apheresis, including both established practitioners and those embarking on a new apheresis service. The content is aimed at nephrologists, hematologists, clinical pathologists, blood bankers and nurses.
Overall Program Objectives
After completing the didactic sessions, participants should be able to:
- Define the spectrum of therapeutic apheresis modalities and equipment.
- Review current clinical indications for therapeutic plasmapheresis, photopheresis and other cytapheresis procedures, per ASFA guidelines.
- Discuss options for vascular access, anticoagulation, and prescription for the various apheresis techniques and their associated complications.
- Describe the differences between centrifugal and membrane plasma separation and the use of selective secondary plasma processing.
- Identify the use of apheresis in pediatrics, pregnancy, and emerging indications.
- Discuss apheresis program management issues, including reimbursement.
- Recognize recent developments and the future of apheresis medicine.
Workshop Learning Objectives
For each workshop session completed, participants should be able to:
- Distinguish the apheresis modalities that can be performed by different types of apheresis equipment, such as centrifugal machines, membrane separators, secondary plasma purification, and cell processing systems.
- Describe the blood pathway configuration of each machine studied and the operator-controlled adjustments that are typically needed.
- Discuss the typical blood flow rate, anticoagulation and vascular access requirements of each machine studied.
The 5th Annual UC San Diego Essentials and Advances in Apheresis Therapies is endorsed by: